A Reporters Without Borders petition for the release of Burundian journalist Hassan Ruvakuki has already gathered 1,248 signatures since its launch three days ago. Keep on signing the petition.
All of the following news media, media groups and press associations have expressed their support for Ruvakuki and the petition demanding his release:
- Burundi: Radio Bonesha FM, Groupe Iwacu, Radio Isanganiro, Net Press and the Burundian Journalists Union
- France: French External Broadcasting
- Mauritania: Le Calame and Cridem
- Cameroon: The daily Mutations
- Madagascar: Radio Tana, L’Observateur and La Gazette de la Grande Ile
- Gambia: The Point
- Niger: Groupe Radio-Télévision Saraounya (RTS) and the Niamey Press Center
- Burkina Faso: The Norbert Zongo Press Centre and the Forum of African Publishers
- Gabon: Gabonactu.com
- Chad: The weekly Le Temps
- Cote d’Ivoire : L’Inter
“This is just the start,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “I am confident that other media will join us in supporting Ruvakuki. The campaign must keep growing.”
Reporters Without Borders urges all news media and all organizations and institutions involved in news and information to contact its Africa Desk if they want to support Ruvakuki and this petition.
A reporter for Radio France Internationale’s Swahili service and for the Burundian radio station Bonesha FM, Ruvakuki was given a three-year jail sentence on appeal on 8 January on a charge of “participating in an association formed for the purpose of attacking persons and property.”