Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is recruting the Head of its EU Office
Reporting to the programme director of Reporters Without Borders (RSF), based in Brussels, the RSF Head of the EU office is responsible for:
- RSF’s media freedom monitoring and advocacy in the countries of the European Union and Balkans
- Implementing and developing RSF’s advocacy and lobbying strategies with European institutions for defending freedom of information and its actors worldwide.
To this end, he/she carries out the following activities:
As part of the media freedom monitoring and advocacy within the countries of the European Union and Balkans, he/she:
- Gathers information about freedom of information in the countries concerned
- Develops RSF’s local contacts (correspondents, local organizations, journalists, institutional contacts and so on)
- Drafts frequent press releases, articles and reports
- Ensures implementation of activities that are part of projects involving the countries of the geographic region for which he/she is responsible, above all the European Centre for Press and Media Freedom
- Implements advocacy activities and campaigns aimed at raising the awareness of officials, international organizations, and local and international media
- Carries out field investigations
- Intercedes in activities in support of journalists and media outlets in the region, in coordination with RSF’s Assistance Desk. As part of the lobbying of European institutions, he/she: ￼￼￼
- Develops RSF’s network of contacts within European institutions with a view to establishing lasting and constructive relations
- Monitors initiatives and discussions within institutions that affect freedom of information
- Ensures implementation of RSF advocacy strategy and monitoring of the specified indicators
- Contributes to the development of RSF’s resources by maintaining and extending contacts with the European Commission and other relevant European donors
- Represents RSF in its relations with European Union entities by speaking on behalf of RSF at hearings or press conferences and by giving interviews to news media covering
- Organizes visits and interventions in Brussels by RSF staff, or by journalists or freedom of information activists invited by RSF
- Handles the day-to-day running of the Brussels bureau, and its administrative and financial management.
Experience in institutional advocacy and lobbying. Excellent knowledge of European institutions and awareness of free speech and fundamental freedom issues. Excellent writing skills and very good knowledge of the countries of the European Union and Balkans. Ability to act as RSF’s representative with officials and to give interviews to local and national media. Attention to detail, self-reliance and resourcefulness are essential qualities for this post, as well as an ability to work as part of a team. Bilingual in French and English. Level and pay to be negotiated, in accordance with experience. Position based in Brussels, to be filled as soon as possible. Applications (CV and covering letter in French or English) by email only to: email@example.com
Internship positions available / Spring & Fall semesters in Washington, DC
The Reporters Without Borders Washington DC Internship is designed to provide students with an opportunity to learn about the role of press freedom and human rights in the United States and abroad.
Responsibilities include drafting press releases, planning events, managing the contacts database, animating the US university chapters network and assisting the Washington director in research and advocacy.
Interns must be available for at least three days of the week.
Send your resume and cover letter to [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Excellent writing skills are required.
French knowledge is a plus.
Successful candidates will be self-starters who are adept at multitasking. Interns should work well under pressure and still pay strict attention to details, be resourceful and creative in responding to requests.